Friday, December 28, 2012

My Favorite Coat: Fox-y, Furry and Fancy

     I've come to discover that aside from shoes, you can never have too many coats and jackets.  There are so many different occasions and circumstances in which you might need a certain kind of outerwear. 
     I have quite the assortment these days, but it has its holes.  I'm still looking for a great car coat, an overcoat to wear over a suit, a more casual overcoat (like this moleskin number from Banana Republic) and a toggle coat (this one would be nice.) 
     However, I'm happy to be able to say I have plenty of barn jackets, a blazer (which desperately needs an upgrade), a couple of sports coats, some nylon outdoors jackets, a wonderful Brooks Brothers rain coat, a Gap jean jacket, some Polo zip-up jackets and this lovely thrift store find from Fox Knapp...
 
Just hangin' out.
 
Collar down.


Collar up.  Keeps me from having to bring a scarf.


     Now that I have this coat, I'm very drawn to faux fur collars (just take a look at some of my Pinterest pins.)  I still can't believe in what flawless shape this coat was when I found it.  No stains, no tears, no shedding, nothing.  The stitch holding the rear vent closed was still intact.  Its condition is even more impressive when you consider this coat was probably made in the 1970s (the wide pocket flaps are a tell.) 
     My only complaints about it are: the body is a little boxy (that can probably be removed by a tailor) and the "woven leather" buttons are hard plastic.  Overall, though, I love this piece and look for reasons to wear it.  It's warm, has an attractive herringbone pattern and its "fur" collar makes an elegant statement (with a Victorian English accent, I imagine.) 
     If you'd like to see more of Fox Knapp's outerwear, you can find a lot of it on eBay.

2 comments:

  1. A nice piece man! Collar up is crackin son! You are full of good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man! There are more where that came from... ;-)

      Delete