Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hustlin'

Thought I'd share with you some of the developments in my writing career:

-I held an informational interview with a top writer/blogger with the Austin American Statesman.  He asked me about my educational and professional background and gave me a few pointers about my blog:
  • I should change the name to something more personal to me; perhaps a phrase that encapsulates my personality, as well as my interest in cars, menswear and watches.  Some new names I've been thinking of include: The Finer Things (hackneyed, I know...); The Dandy Lion (I'd have to explain my first theater role as Aslan, though); A Gentleman's Interests; Dandy By Design; and New Dog, Old Tricks.  Nothing really sweeping me off my feet, yet.  Feel free to share your ideas for the new name of my blog.
  • I should incorporate things into my posts that give people who aren't necessarily fans of cars, menswear and timepieces a reason to care about what I'm writing and my opinions.
  • I need to redesign my blog and its layout (I should be able to work in gingham somewhere, right?)
  • I need to be posting EVERY DAY.  I'm working on it...
-This same journalist was kind enough to give me the name of the Marketplace (cars, RVs, motorcycles and real estate) editor for the Statesman.  He is also currently reviewing my portfolio.  (I will contact the Marketplace editor soon.)

-I spoke with my Copy Editing professor, who also works at the Statesman, about my blog.  He gave me some tips on it and the name of someone to contact at the paper about pursuing work.  (I will contact her, soon, too.)

-I started a new, part-time telecommuting job in which I edit annd write resumes for clients.

-I conducted an informational interview with the Editor in Chief of a highly popular automotive blog.  He, too, was very generous with his time and knowledge.  His blog works with freelancers and he gave me the greenlight to contact him again in May, when I graduate.  He also told me what he looks for in a portfolio.  I hope he likes my Ford Thunderbird review...

-Next Thursday, I will interview the head of ACC's automotive technology department about the department and what 5 things students should do to prepare their cars for the spring and summer.

-Next on the list: finishing my profile and applying for freelance work on eLance.com (or Helium.)


No comments:

Post a Comment