Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I like nice things....but at nice prices.

     In an effort to post every day (and thus follow the advice of a very knowledgeable Austin reporter/blogger who was kind enough to let me interview him about getting started in journalism), I will be sharing my general thoughts and philosophies about cars, clothes and watches (translation: don't expect to see pictures in every post.)

     I have a very bad habit of "Windows" shopping in my free time.  Not only do I look for new arrivals, but I constantly scour the sales sections.  I don't have a bank roll that'll choke a hippo, so I have to be selective about purchasing the items that catch my eye.  I'm all for instant gratification, but you can lose your ass if you're constantly indulging a taste for Brooks Brothers shirts and Johnston and Murphy shoes, price be damned.

     I don't consider myself an especially patient person, but, somehow, I've discovered that if you wait long enough, you can scoop some killer deals.  Granted, those items on sale are typically out of season, but who gives a shit?  If you're buying the right thing, you'll be able to comfortably wear it when the appropriate weather comes around again, and for years after that.  I fondly remember buying a lovely raincoat last year at an end of season clearance sale for 70 percent off.  It's an ecru, 3/4 length raincoat whose only embellishment is epaulettes.  I can wear that puppy for the next 10 years, at least (the 3/4 length might become a little dated in the future.) 

     Patience truly is a virtue when building your wardrobe.  You can buy more items when they're all on sale.  I would rather have a shirt, a pair of pants and a pair of playful socks in a few weeks instead of a shirt right now.  However, there are certain items that never seem to go on sale, such as Tiffany's silver, Coach retail products (although they have an outlet store on eBay and their own outlet website) and Rolex watches (I've heard of people getting slight discounts at authorized dealers, but those discounts don't seem to be as high as those for Omegas.)
    
     For the most part, though, a lot of menswear sites seem to have perennial sales sections.  Keep in mind that the inventory changes with the seasons.  One sales section I always check is Brooks Brothers'.  You could say that, even on sale, their stuff is ridiculously pricey, but when I gotta have it, I gotta have it.

     One of my favorite online menswear magazines, Valetmag.com, has a great section listing all the sales and deals to be had in the world of menswear.  Check it out here

     Happy hunting, fellas!

No comments:

Post a Comment